Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Blind Leader?

Luk 6:39 He also told them a parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit?



Luk 6:40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.


This is where Jesus started the story we've been looking at. The very obvious inference here is that anyone who is either unaware or unwilling to put into practice the teachings of Jesus is unqualified to lead. Why? Because he will hurt both himself and those he leads.

(Note:) After I published this post, I was thinking of what I said in this and other articles and I had to go back and add this thought. Here, I believe, is an excellent opportunity to put this concept of judging into practice using me as an example. I realize many of you do not know me personally and so you will only be able to judge me by the words I write. For those readers who do know me personally, look at my life, actions and words and ask yourselves this question. "Is Michael a blind man attempting to lead the blind or is he by his life, actions and words (fruit) attempting to become more like Jesus?" If the answer is "blind man" then read no further. If it is "attempting to follow the teachings of Jesus" then, consider that perhaps I have something valid to say. You be the judge.
 
What is the purpose of Biblical discipleship? It is NOT so that we can know more Bible verses to argue our point with. It's NOT so we can point out others faults or develop the finer points of rules and doctrines. It IS  so that we will become like our teacher Jesus. No, not gods for those who might be wondering, but like Him in our actions, words and love for God and our neighbor, even our enemies. That is the ultimate goal of discipleship. The Church seems to be largely unaware of this. We have more knowledge and more information about the Bible and theology than at any other time in history. Yet, it would appear, less Christlikeness than ever before. Why is that?
 
Anyone interested in reading a compelling book on what true Biblical love looks like, check out this book Love Has a Face written by Michele Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment