Saturday, November 30, 2013

Natural or Supernatural

This past Wednesday at the church which meets in our home we had a new guest. I met this man about 7 months ago shortly after we moved to Honduras. Charley is 72 years old and lives on a mountaintop overlooking the capital. It's a dangerous area with a murder or two almost every week. He lives on social security and is loved by the town people because of his obvious love for them and the Lord. He reminds me of an Old Testament prophet.

Four months ago he woke up completely paralyzed. Friends, ex drug dealers who had become followers of Jesus, carried him onto a plane and he was flown to San Antonio, TX. The doctors never gave him any medication other than pain killers because they were unable to determine what he had. They told him that there was a good chance he would never walk again.

What I am going to relate to you is a paraphrase of Charley's words, but more or less as he expressed them.

"When the doctors told me I may never be able to walk again I rejected those words as lies from Satan. God does not want his children to be sick, or lame, or diseased. I began to rebuke the illness and Satan in the Name of Jesus and to believe the Word of God to be more powerful than any spoken by doctors or the Devil himself. Three weeks later I walked out of that hospital. The doctors didn't know what to say. Yes, it was a slow process of recovery and I needed therapy, but I am completely recovered."

And he is. During our prayer time we prayed for two friends who have or had cancer. Then one of the ladies, also a new guest said her heel had been hurting a lot lately. Charley asked her to remove her sock and he and one of the young ladies prayed for her healing. Charley asked this question, "What would Jesus do if he were standing in the room at that moment and Linda's foot was painful?" I though it was a very good question and one that almost every Christian would answer the same way. "He'd heal it." Charley said to us, "Jesus gave us His power and authority to do the same thing and we're going to right now."

Why then was I slightly uncomfortable with this action? (Remember, I call myself the Honest Christian) I believe God heals....without a doubt. I believe that God has given us authority over the enemy. Why then was I just a little uncomfortable?

Here are a few reasons. I was afraid of what the others in the room might be thinking. I was afraid that Linda's foot might not be healed and God would look the fool, let alone us or Charley. I'm not completely convinced that God heals all the time and in every situation. There are a few of the reasons.

But here's my real question for you, for me. Why is it that we Christians want to claim to believe in a supernatural power whom we call God, whom we believe created us and the universe, whom we believe is capable of doing anything He wants...and has, yet...when someone has enough faith to actually believe He can and will do a miracle, we shy away? We back pedal and claim that the gift of healing or of tongues no longer exists. That God no longer reveals Himself to us in the same way He once did.

Why would we want to serve a supernatural God and live our lives only looking for natural results?
I ask the question to you. Why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment